Friday 8 April 2011

Is There a Stigma in Reading Romance?

Grace visits the Book Wenches and asks:
 Is there a stigma attached to reading romance?
I think so.
It is only since becoming a published author of historical romance that I ‘came out’ and admitted to reading the genre. The strange thing is that since I went public, people I consider perfectly normal, intelligent, fulfilled and responsible, who I never previously suspected of being fellow addicts, also came out and said; ‘Oh yeah, I love reading romance to.’
            So why this reluctance to go public?


So what do you think?
Are you secretive about your romance habit, and if so, why?

2 comments:

  1. I used to be, back in my mechanic days, but eventually I got sick of hiding it and now I admit it with pride. I've even gotten a few men to read some romance novels. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps it comes with time...having the confidence think 'What the heck!' and just get on with it. That's impressive though...getting men to read romance....I wonder how many men would admit to it (even smaller % than the woman I suspect.)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of SPAM I have been forced to moderate comments. If you are a spammer - please go away! You comment will not be posted and you are wasting your own time.
G